Mobile Phone Repairing Safety guidelines and precautionary measures is a must not only while repairing mobile phone but also while handling or repairing any electronic device or gadget. The parts inside a mobile phone or smartphone are very sensitive especially to ESD or Electrostatic Discharge. By adopting safety measures and maintaining precaution, you can avoid any unwanted damage to the PCB of Mobile Phone.
If you are into mobile phone repairing business and follow Mobile Phone Repairing Safety Tips, then people get to know that you are well organized and well equipped. Remember, first impression is the last impression. By being well equipped and well informed, you will always get more satisfied customers that your competitors. Modern smartphone are expensive and no one would like to hand it over for repairing to someone how is not well equipped or well organized.
Here are some tried and tested Mobile Phone Repairing Safety Tips for safe and precaution while repairing mobile phones. Follow these guidelines and you will see the difference in your business very soon.
Mobile Phone Repairing Safety Tips and Precaution: Guidelines and Instructions
USE ESD-Safe Work Station / Work Bench / Table: Yes, repairing of any smartphone, mobile phone, tablet, laptop or any other such electronic gadget must always be done on an ESD-Safe Workbench. An ESD-Safe work bench is nothing but a table made up of ESD-Safe material with ESD-Safe Mat on the area where actual repairing is done. The whole table including the ESD Mat and the person doing the repairing job are all grounded properly. This prevents the gadget or mobile phone from any potential damage due to static electricity. Now, static electricity is unwanted electricity or flow or electrons from one body to another. These negatively charged electrons can cause damage to sensitive electronic components mainly SMD (Surface Mount Devices). Such work stations are well equipped so that all your tools of regular use are within your arms reach and at appropriate place.
- Use Right ESD-Safe Tools: Professionals always with professional and good quality tools. Do not use alternative tools or cheap tools. Use only dedicated tools for particular device you want to repair and fix. Many technicians use their thumb nail to open the front or back cover of a mobile phone or smartphone. This is not correct. For this job, low-cost mobile opening tools made of hard plastic (ESD-Safe) are easily available. Similarly, you will always need T4, T5 and T6 screwdrivers for such repairing jobs. T4 or Philips head screwdriver is most common. 90% of your job will get done using a Philips (+) screwdriver. So, always keep ESD-Safe Philips screwdriver near you. With such organized workstation and tools, your job will become easier and very comfortable and your customers will be highly impressed.
- ESD Protection: ESD (Electro Static Discharge) is the sudden flow of electricity between two electrically charged objects caused by any contact between them. For ESD protection, you need to wear ESD-Safe Apron, ESD-Safe Slippers, ESD-Safe Hand Gloves and Anti-static wrist strap. You must also work on a well grounded esd mat. Combination of these three will make sure that no unwanted static electricity from your body is transferred to the gadget you are repairing. Remember that ESD protection is not required for your personal safety. It is for the safety of the electronic components on the logic board or the motherboard.PS: I am into this field for over 15 years now and I know most technicians do not use ESD protection. Most of them don’t even know about ESD. I always prefer better to be on the safer side. What do you say?
- USE ESD-Safe Tray: There are readily available and don’t cost much. Whenever you disassemble any mobile phone handset, place all the part in separate compartments of the tray. This will make your life much easier when you reassemble the mobile phone because you don’t have to remember where you placed the part. All of them are already well organized in different compartments of the tray. Remember smartphone and mobile phone have number of tiny screws and these are the ones that get lost most of the time. Using a tray with different compartments for different part will your life easy.
- Handle Delicate Parts Carefully: Most of the parts in a mobile phone or smartphone are very delicate. Take care about them. For example make sure the LCD does not get any scratches. Make sure to handle connectors and connecting cables carefully as they are very delicate.
- Care with Hot air and Soldering Iron: Hot air machine and soldering iron or soldering station must be used and handled carefully. They can damage the gadget and even harm you. Hot air machine produces hot air with very high temperature. Make sure the direction of the nozzle is where it should be. Switch it OFF when not in use. Similarly use a hot soldering iron with care. Always place the iron in a iron stand and do not put it on the table. Such repairing jobs also need use of highly inflammable liquid such as IPA. They need to be placed at the right place to avoid high heat.
- Take care of customer’s data: Many times you need to perform hard reset or factory reset or reinstall the operating system or IMEI in a mobile phone. During the process, data stored in the mobile phone memory and even external SD card might get deleted. This data can be very important for some customers. So, make sure to backup all data before performing and factory reset.